Digital learning: Online tools for students
Digital learning without classroom sessions - this requires more than just getting the video stream of the lecture and the worksheets in e-Learning. Learning groups need to be reorganised and re-thought, discussions need a different format, and even human contact, relaxation, and the circle of friends need to be digitalised temporarily in some way.
There is no patent remedy for how this can be achieved, not even from a university. Individual and unconventional solutions are required. Make sure you have a say, talk things over, and stimulate new thinking. What the University of Bayreuth can offer is the necessary technical infrastructure. Get an overview of the digital tools available here.
Please contact the IT Service Centre with your general questions on these technical solutions: ITS point of contact (+49 921 55-3003, email@example.com).
Please note the information at www.its.uni-bayreuth.de.
Many providers of digital media are reacting to the current increase in demand and are making their products available free of charge for a limited period of time or allowing extended use.
For an overview of the electronic media that is currently free to use, see the University library
For students there is a wide range of high-quality online courses offered by various external providers. The courses offered cover all subject areas and can usually be used free of charge. Possible accrediting of a course is to be clarified with the lecturer.
To the overview of the range of online courses
The digital summer semester will be especially challenging for first semester students.
To the tips for first semester students
Moodle – the teaching and learning platform of the University of Bayreuth
e-Learning is the central teaching and learning platform of the University of Bayreuth. Based on the free software Moodle, the platform enables the following possibilities for digital information and material exchange:
- Communication: Through e-Learning you can communicate in different ways. These include discussion forums, personal messages to individual users or user groups, and surveys.
- Collaboration: With the activity "Etherpad lite" you can work simultaneously, together in real time on a document, or create a protocol. An export as PDF or in Word format for post-processing is also possible.
- Document availability: You can download various documents, such as: scripts, presentations, exercise materials, etc.
- Handing in work: You can submit texts and documents such as homework or exercise sheets digitally, and thus make them available for correction.
Panopto – the video platform of the University of Bayreuth
Via the central video platform Panopto, lecturers can provide you with video material to accompany the lecture. For this option, neither activation nor the Software Panoptop Recorder is required. The videos are directly integrated into the corresponding e-Learning courses and can be accessed there.
Video, Audio & Web Conferences
Skype for Business by Microsoft
In order to counteract the expected higher demand for video and audio conferences, and to relieve the DFNconf service, the IT Service Centre provides Skype for Business Accounts to all employees and students of the University of Bayreuth. Skype for Business is no longer being actively developed by Microsoft, and is therefore only provided temporarily due to the current situation.
- Skype for Business enables you to hold audio conferences with up to 250 people. In addition, Skype enables you to engage in live chat to communicate and coordinate with your fellow students in a convenient way.
- To activate Skype for Business, you must agree to Microsoft's processing of your data in the ITS-Portal under "policies". The Microsoft Office 365 Cloud - unlike other cloud services or widespread social networks - complies with European data protection standards and does not aim to use your data for advertising or similar purposes. The provision of Skype for Business by Microsoft will take up to 24 hours first up.
Activation and installation of Skype For Business – Office 365 (pdf)
First start and initial configuration of Skype for Business (pdf)
Skype for Business: Use in lectures (pdf)
Further information can be found on the pages of the IT Service Centre at www.its.uni-bayreuth.de/skype.
Zoom - video conferences
In order to support online courses, the University of Bayreuth has expanded its offering to include Zoom, and has acquired a license for the entire campus. This means that all employees and students of the University of Bayreuth can use Zoom to conduct teaching or for group work, and can hold video conferences with up to 300 participants.
Please do not create a profile directly via zoom.com. Access to Zoom is exclusively via uni-bayreuth.zoom.us. On Zoom.com or in the Zoom App click on "Log in via SSO" and enter uni-bayreuth.zoom.us in the next step.
When registering, you can use your personal identification and the corresponding password for the login service of University of Bayreuth for Zoom. A new licensed profile will be created. In case of problems please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the first access only your first name, surname, and the e-mail address are transmitted to Zoom. The password is not transmitted. Subsequent logging-in is also via uni-bayreuth.zoom.us, while authentication uses your username and password at the University of Bayreuth.
Digital media of the University library
Access to E-Books, E-Journals, and databases
University employees and students can access a variety of digital services such as E-Books, E-Journals and Databases from off-campus via VPN/proxy or by authentication via Shibboleth (publishers Springer Nature and Wiley). Please also note the information on online versions of journal articles on the website Alternative Procurement Channels for Journal Articles.
For questions on research, please contact email@example.com or 0921 / 55-3420. Please also not the website of Universitätsbibliothek Bayreuth.
Software for Theses
Access to software and computers of the PC pool
If you need special software for your thesis, please send the following information (your username, required software and expected period of use, type of work and supervising professorship) via e-mail to the ITS contact office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ArcGIS, Licenses for eligible students can be obtained from Dr. Brigitte John
PC pools (course software)
Most of the software on the computers in the PC pools is open source and can be downloaded free of charge from the corresponding developer pages. For licensing reasons, the IT Service Centre cannot generally make commercial software available elsewhere. Exceptions are
- ArcGIS, licences for eligible students can be obtained from the university's software allocation office by providing the uni-bayreuth.de mail address (email@example.com)
- STATA (course software GEO, RW) and
- CorelDraw and Corel Photo-Paint (course software GEO)
- SPSS (course software BIO, GEO, KW, RW, SPORT) VPN connection required
- Matlab (course software ING, GEO, MAT, RW, SPORT) VPN connection required
which can be provided via a streaming server exclusively for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (64bit) for students with the respective course software activation.
Important: Use a VPN connection only for software that requires it!
Further software can be found under the heading Software zur privaten Nutzung on the web pages of the IT Service Centre.
PC Linux-Pools at Mathematics
The computers of the PC-Linux-Pool of Mathematics are accessible from outside via SSH together with VPN and authentication with username of the University of Bayreuth.