University of Bayreuth, Press Release No 080/2023 - 13 June 2023
Alcohol and health are the topics at the 2nd Kulmbach Beer Law Day
The University of Bayreuth and the museums in Kulmbach Mönchshof invite you to the Kulmbach Beer Law Day on 11 July 2023. The theme of the second edition of this specialist congress is "Alcohol and Health", because health protection will shape the political agenda in the beverage sector like no other in the near future.
"Last autumn, the European Commission announced that it would pay special attention to the topic of 'alcohol and health' in the upcoming regulations and projects," says Prof. Dr. Kai Purnhagen, holder of the Chair of Food Law at the University of Bayreuth and initiator of the conference. That is why the 2nd Kulmbach Beer Law Day is dedicated to the latest legislative developments in order to make them accessible to the industry as well - and to enable it to prepare for them in good time, for example, for new regulations on warning notices, advertising, taxes and the minimum age for the sale of alcohol.
The programme of the 2nd Kulmbach Beer Law Day is divided into a scientific part at Faculty VII in Kulmbach and a practice-oriented part in the museums in the Mönchshof: As Purnhagen explains, the main focus is on a scientifically differentiated classification of the topic "alcohol and health", based on scientific findings. Whether and how these can be implemented in law and regulation is the subject of the jurisprudential part. On this basis, the discussion will follow in the afternoon on how this will and, above all, can be understood and implemented in practice. "Here at the Kulmbach Mönchshof, we offer the ideal spatial possibilities to openly discuss what we have heard with each other and to network on the topic," says Dr. Helga Metzel, Managing Director of the Museums at the Kulmbach Mönchshof.
Among others, the President of the Federal Office for Risk Assessment, renowned scientists, as well as representatives of the Bundestag, the Bavarian Ministry of Health, the German Brewers Association and the Bavarian Brewers Association, the German Wine Academy, the Competence Centre for Nutrition, and many more are expected.
Museen im Mönchshof e.V.
Programme of the 2nd "Kulmbach Beer Law Day"
09:00 - 09:30: Opening
- Prof. Dr. Stefan Leible, President of the University of Bayreuth
- Markus Stodden, Spokesman of the Board of Kulmbacher Brauerei AG
09:30 - 10:30: Keynotes: Alcohol and health
- Prof. Dr. Janin Henkel-Oberländer, Dean of Faculty VII, University of Bayreuth: "Health effects of alcoholic beverages".
- Prof. Dr. Dr. Andreas Hensel, President of the Federal Institute for Risk Assessment: "Luxury food, everyday pleasures, food, ... We do not die from the things we are afraid of".
10:30 - 11:00 a.m.: Coffee break
11:00 - 12:00: What are the policy plans?
- Kristine Lütke, Member of the German Bundestag
- Dr. Daniel Renné, Head of the Department of Psychiatry and Addiction, Bavarian State Ministry of Health and Care
12:00 - 12:30: Perspectives of jurisprudence
- Prof. Dr. Kai Purnhagen, University of Bayreuth: "Health regulation in the EU - possibilities and limits".
12:30 - 13:00 Transfer to the Kulmbach Mönchshof
13:00 - 14:00: Snack and networking
- Welcome by Dr. Helga Metzel, Managing Director of the Museums im Kulmbacher Mönchshof e.V.
14:00 - 14:30: Practical perspectives
- Christine Röger & Dr. Martin Kussmann, Competence Centre for Nutrition (KErn): "Are bans the solution? - Current developments in the social context".
14:30 - 16:00: Expert discussion: How does the practice deal with the new challenges?
- Julia Busse, Managing Director Policy and Law of Deutscher Brauer-Bund e.V.
- Dr. Lothar Ebbertz, General Manager of the Bavarian Brewers Association e.V.
- Dr. Carsten Oelrichs, Partner at ZENK Attorneys at Law
- Dr. Claudia Hammer, Scientific Director of the German Wine Academy
16:00 - 16:30: Summing up and farewell
- Guided tour of the Bavarian Brewery Museum
- Get-together and snack