Research Assistant (m/f/d) in hydrogen technologies with the possibility of a doctorate (TV-L E 13, 100 %)
Center of Energy Technology (ZET) - Chair of Engineering Thermodynamics an Transport Processes
The Center of Energy Technology (ZET) merges energy-related expertise and activities within the Faculty of Engineering Science at the University of Bayreuth. Our various projects range from basic research to further development and application.
The Chair of Engineering Thermodynamics and Transport Processes (Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dieter Brüggemann) offers a position at the ZET as a
Research Associate (m/f/d) in hydrogen technologies with the possibility of a doctorate (TV-L E 13, 100 %)
in temporary employment until 31.10.2025.
In the development of technologies for the production of green hydrogen, Germany acts internationally and cooperates, among others, with Canada. The German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) is funding the new joint project "HYER", in which models for increasing the efficiency of electrolysis plants are to be developed. Two German and three Canadian partners from science and industry are involved.
Our contribution is the techno-economic analysis of electrolysis plants. For this purpose, they will be modelled, taking into account operating conditions and ageing mechanisms. In addition, applications for real-time monitoring are developed. Here, knowledge from the production and characterization of stack materials is incorporated in conjunction with accelerated ageing tests in a novel test infrastructure. An overall goal is to further increase electrolysis systems' reliability and efficiency through monitoring and control applications, thereby reducing the cost of green hydrogen production.
The position offered here is focused on the technical and economic simulation of electrolysis systems. For this purpose, these are modelled and simulated coupled with renewable energy systems. The work will take place in close cooperation with the Canadian and German project partners. For the parameterization and validation of the models created, test profiles are to be developed for the application in a stack test rig. In addition, submodels from project partners are to be implemented and tested in the simulation model at the system level. Based on defined applications for the boundary conditions in Germany and Canada, the operation of electrolysis plants is to be technically and economically evaluated and optimized.
- You have graduated in engineering or natural sciences (Diploma or Master's Degree).
- Ideally, you have first experience in energy system analyses and corresponding process simulations (e.g. in Matlab Simulink, Aspen Plus / HYSYS or Dymola / Modelica).
- You are convincing with your project and time management, your independent and result-oriented working method, and you are committed and able to work in a team.
- You are interested in close cooperation with international partners from research and industry, and you can communicate in English with them.
- You actively participate in an international joint research project on a future-oriented topic.
- You will be integrated into our team and have access to our comprehensive and modern equipment.
- You have the opportunity of combining your engineering research with a doctorate (Dr.-Ing.), and we support your personal development, which will lead to attractive job prospects later on.
- The salary is according to the collective agreement for public service employees (TV-L, pay group 13), and the position is limited until the end of the project on 31.10.2025.
The University of Bayreuth values the diversity of its employees as an enrichment and is expressly committed to the goal of equal opportunities for men and women. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants with children are welcome. The University of Bayreuth is a member of the Best Practice Club "Familie in der Hochschule e.V.", and has successfully participated in the HRK audit "Internationalization of the University". Persons with severe disabilities will be given preferential consideration if equally qualified.
Please apply online with meaningful application documents by 02.04.2023, indicating the password "ZET-Hyer" via our online application portal of the University of Bayreuth. The documents will be deleted after the position has been filled in accordance with data protection requirements.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Matthias Welzl (email@example.com, Phone: +49 921 55-7525).