Post-Doctoral Researcher (m/f/d)
Faculty of Life Sciences - Campus Kulmbach - Chair of Crop Plant Genetics
The University of Bayreuth is a research-oriented university with internationally competitive and interdisciplinary profile fields in research and teaching. At the University of Bayreuth, the Chair of Crop Plant Genetics at the Faculty of Life Sciences: Food, Nutrition and Health (Campus Kulmbach) has an immediate vacancy for a
Post-Doctoral Researcher (m/f/d)
The position is initially limited to 2 years (with the possibility of extension).
Research at the chair of Crop Plant Genetics focuses on the molecular mechanisms of disease resistance in crop plants, e.g. barley and wheat, with the long-term aim of making these available for future improved and sustainable crop protection measures. Climate change poses a global challenge to our food supply in both quantitative and qualitative terms. Through molecular research and genome editing, the Chair of Crop Plant Genetics aims to improve disease resistance and (climate) stress tolerance in staple crops such as wheat, thus significantly contributing to future food security.
- to establish a plant transformation unit to produce (CRISPR/Cas) genome-edited barley and wheat plants (both transgenic and transgene-free)
- to spear-head a research project aimed at understanding the molecular mechanisms of systemic acquired resistance in wheat, including CRISPR/Cas genome editing for improved crop protection.
- to participate in teaching, mentoring and advising students
to undertake administrative and organisational tasks
- PhD in one of the following fields: Biology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry with focus on plant sciences, plant physiology, plant molecular biology or phytopathology
- Relevant work experience (incl. during PhD) in plant research with methodological competence in molecular biology as well as plant transformation, cell, and tissue culture
- Experience in research with monocotyledonous crops such as barley and wheat, as well as CRISPR/Cas genome editing in plants would be desirable
- Proficiency in English (both oral and in writing)
- You enjoy working independently and in teams, show initiative, are open-minded to challenges, and work in a solution-oriented and responsible manner
The remuneration is according to TV-L (E-13).
What we offer:
- Forward-looking and state-of-the-art research subject areas
- Modern working conditions in a creative working environment
- Flexible working hours
- Company health management
- Constructive working atmosphere in a friendly, open-minded, and international team
- Compatibility of family and career
The University of Bayreuth values the diversity of its employees as an enrichment and is expressly committed to the goal of equal opportunities for men and women. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants with children are very welcome. The University of Bayreuth is a member of the Best-Practice Club "Familie in der Hochschule e.V." and has successfully participated in the HRK-Audit "Internationalisierung der Hochschule".
Persons with severe disabilities will be given preferential consideration if equally qualified.
Please apply online with informative application documents by May 30, 2023, indicating the keyword "Crop Plant Genetics" via our online application portal at the University of Bayreuth.
The documents will be deleted after the position has been filled in accordance with data protection requirements.
For further inquiries, please contact: Prof. Dr. A.C. (Corina) Vlot-Schuster (Chair) (email@example.com; Tel. 09221/407-1200).