Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/d)
Software Engineering Group
The Software Engineering Group at the University of Bayreuth is looking for a
Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/d)
(75% - 100% of regular working time in pay grade 13 TV-L or 100% in A 13)
Prof. Dr. Sebastian Baltes recently joined the University of Bayreuth and is building up a new research group focusingon empirical software engineering. We tackle problems rooted in software practitioners’ actual needs, which we identify systematically using empirical research methods. Our projects usually combine foundational and applied research and are published in leading software engineering venues. Please see our previous publications forexamples: https://empirical-software.engineering/publications/
- Research within the group’s research area with the possibility to shape your own research agenda as a postdoc, writing scientific articles, and presenting your results at international conferences
- Supporting the group’s teaching offerings by, e.g., coordinating lectures, assignments, organizing seminars, or co-supervising thesis projects
- Excellent PhD degree in software engineering or related fields
- Advanced language proficiency in English; German is a plus
- Experience conducting empirical software engineering research (quantitative or qualitative) is required. Knowledge in machine learning or natural language processing is an asset, so is industrial software development experience
- Publications in leading software engineering venues (ICSE, FSE, ASE, TSE, TOSEM, EMSE) or more targeted venues of subcommunities (ESEM, VL/HCC, MSR, etc.)
- A creative, inclusive, and flexible working environment with a large network of international collaborators
- Constant feedback and guidance for your postdoctoral research projects
- The ability to conduct research on current software engineering challenges, e.g., in the areas of generative AI for software development, cloud native software development, or software analytics
- Salary and benefits according to the collective agreement of the German federal states (TV-L E 13) or A 13 (Bavaria); this is a 4-year fixed-term position with possibility of an extension
The University of Bayreuth is a research-oriented university with international competitive and interdisciplinary profile areas in research and teaching.
The position is limited according to the German Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz (fixed-term contract law for academic staff) and is intended for personal academic qualification (doctorate). The duration of the employment relationship depends on both, legal and personal conditions. Furthermore, the employment conditions of the Bavarian Higher Education and Research Act (BayHIG) apply as hiring requirements.
The University of Bayreuth values the diversity of its employees and is expressly committed to the goal of gender equality. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants with children are very welcome. The University of Bayreuth is a member of the Best Practice Network “Familie in der Hochschule e.V.” and has successfully participated in the HRK audit “Internationalization of the University.” Persons with severe disabilities will be given preferential consideration if equally qualified.
Compile the following documents into one PDF file and upload your application via the online portal of the University of Bayreuth, keyword: Postdoc Software Engineering - The application deadline is 22nd March 2024.
- Cover letter describing your background, motivation to apply, and your earliest possible starting date (the position is available immediately)
- Curriculum vitae
- Publication list
- Certificates and transcripts of your degrees including brief summaries of your theses
- Proof of English proficiency
- Contact information of two references (e.g., former supervisors/teachers)
We will start reviewing applications after the deadline has passed and continue to accept applications until the position is filled.
We look forward to receiving your application!
All submitted documents will be deleted after the position has been filled in accordance with data protection requirements.
If you have any questions, please contact Prof. Dr. Baltes via email: email@example.com