International Research Collaborations: The 2021 Senior and Junior Fellows of the Bayreuth Humboldt Centre
University of Bayreuth, Press release No. 039/2021, 6 April 2021
In 2021, the Bayreuth Humboldt Centre, which promotes international research cooperation at the University of Bayreuth, will once again invite six Senior and Junior Fellows to Bayreuth. The researchers from Argentina, Finland, Italy, Morocco, Poland, and South Africa will work on joint research projects in the cultural, social and natural sciences with researchers from the University of Bayreuth. The Senior and Junior Fellows, selected by the Centre's External Advisory Board, were recently appointed by the University Governing Board of the University of Bayreuth.
The Senior and Junior Fellows 2021:
- Dr. Justin Begley, post-doctoral researcher at the University of Helsinki, Finland, and Prof. Dr Florian Klaeger are investigating how botany emerged as an independent field of science between 1660 and 1740. They will do so in an interdisciplinary approach and take into account scientific scholarship as well as contemporary poetics (Junior Fellowship, English Studies and History of Science).
- Dr. Abdelmjid Kettioui will come to Bayreuth from Moulay Ismail University in Meknès, Morocco. Together with his host Prof. Dr. Paula Schrode, he is looking at Moroccan activists who advocate atheist positions outside their home country (Junior Fellowship, Islamic Religious Studies).
- Prof. Dr. Krzysztof Kozłowski from Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań, Poland, will explore the role of media in the propaganda of the Nazi regime with his host Prof. Dr. Anno Mungen, focusing in particular on the Bayreuth Festival (Senior Fellowship, Theatre Studies).
- Prof. Dr. Stephanus Muller from Stellenbosch University, South Africa, and his host Dr. Lena van der Hoven will explore and relate different perspectives on modern music production in Africa. For this, they will make use of the unique musical resources in the archives of the Iwalewahaus (Senior Fellowship, Musicology).
- Dr. Violeta Radovich is a post-doctoral researcher at the University of Buenos Aires, Argentina. In Bayreuth, together with Prof. Dr Eva Julia Lohse and Prof. Dr Christian Laforsch, she will investigate international legal issues that affect the world's oceans and cannot be regulated by nation states, or can only be regulated to an inadequate extent. An important aspect will be the involvement of indigenous populations and local communities (Junior Fellowship, Environmental and Maritime Law).
- Dr.-Ing. Gianvito Vilé, junior research group leader at the Polytechnic University of Milan, Italy, and Prof. Dr.-Ing. Andreas Jess, are aiming to get to the bottom of the structures and functionalities of single-site catalysts. These materials have promising potential for sustainable chemical engineering (Junior Fellowship, Chemical Engineering).
Image: clockwise from top left: Dr. Justin Begley, Dr. Violeta Radovich, Prof. Dr. Stephanus Muller, Prof. Dr. Krzysztof Kozłowski, Dr. Abdelmjid Kettioui, Dr. Gianvito Vilé. Image: Bayreuth Humboldt Centre.
"As in previous years, we are noticing the great intrinsic motivation of excellent international scientists to come to Bayreuth. Like Alexander von Humboldt, they have to cross disciplinary, specialist-cultural, and geographical borders to do so. The latter are particularly high at the moment due to the pandemic. The Centre is responding to this challenge with the greatest possible flexibility and is providing intensive support to all Fellows and Grantees in planning and carrying out their research stays. These collaborations will further strengthen the international profile of research at the University of Bayreuth," says Prof. Dr. Anna Köhler, Executive Director of the Bayreuth Humboldt Centre.
The Call for the sponsorship programme "Strategic Scientific Workshops" is currently underway, followed in June by Calls for the next Fellowships and Short Term Grants in 2022.
Further information: https://www.humboldt-centre.uni-bayreuth.de/en/
Dr. Mirjam Horn-Schott
University of Bayreuth Centre of International Excellence "Alexander von Humboldt"
Phone: +49 (0) 921/55-7879
University of Bayreuth
Phone: +49 (0)921 / 55-5356